Wednesday, May 20, 2015

Como Park Bluebird Trail Update: May 20th, 2015

Post contributed by Sharon, volunteer bluebird trail monitor:


Bluebirds

There are at least 15 (and possibly 17) bluebirds over a week old on the trail this week. I did not open one box because those five bluebirds are too close to fledging and might fledge prematurely if startled. Bluebirds normally fledge in 16-22 days. I still could only count five bluebirds in the nest that had seven white eggs, though the somewhat flimsy nest seemed quite full. There are two more completed bluebird nests on the trail, for a total of five boxes in use by bluebirds.
House sparrow nest

A mother chickadee was incubating her nest of seven eggs. She flew out when I opened the box and scolded me from a nearby pine tree.

Tree swallows completed one nest, and began another. The house sparrows I evicted last week moved to a different box and built a new nest, which I removed. Two boxes remain completely empty.